A 20-something's quest to design with fun, fancy, and flair!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

DIY LOVE

In my mind, the only thing better than buying something fabulous is making it yourself. Law students aren't exactly known for their bulging bank accounts (apparently you don't get those paid jobs until after you graduate), so knowing how to add a few DIY touches to ordinary pieces is an invaluable skill.

A great site to start your DIY journey on is Ikea Hackers. It's a forum where users submit their 'hacks' to ordinary (cue: cheap) pieces of Ikea furniture, which you could replicate on other pieces of furniture you might have.

One project I've had my eye on for the living room of my new apartment is this hack using the popular 'Lack' coffee table from Ikea. I have a similar table in black from Target, and I thought it could be a great way to bring in a little color to my living room.
Using a printed wallpaper and some silver nail heads, the hackers were able to really glam up this simple table using super cheap crafting tricks. A great way to start adding creative touches to basic furniture!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the table :) If you do give it a go, I'd love to see how it turns out!
    ~Lizzie

    ReplyDelete